Saturday, June 25, 2016

Day 18: Ventura-Carpinteria. 15 miles

Last night we camped at Emma Wood Camp Grounds. We were exhausted and lacked access to power. Posts were brief The IPhones soon lost power and so did we. We got on the trail a little later than we have been lately, at 6:30am. It was still cool and foggy. Just the way we like it.
From looking at google Maps and Butch's guide we were expecting a long haul of no services for the whole 16 miles.

We got a little Camino miracle with Faria County Beach Camp Ground. Bathrooms, a food stand with quality food and coffee, and power outlets.  We hung out here for a good long while, recharging both our bodies and the phones. Keeping an eye on our phones as they charged we noticed a woman, also eyeing our phones.

The woman left, then returned with three small children. They hovered by the charging phones, which were near the food line. Gerald decided to intervene and get our phones. The woman commented emphatically that she did not even see those phones. We paid her little mind.
We did notice that after we got our phones, the woman did not order any food and left, heading towards the bathrooms.

 Bathrooms. Good idea before hitting the trail. In the bathroom there were two women, in LovePink and CALI-Love clothing. The one in Love-Pink, is evangelizing to the other woman. I see that Cali-Love is charging her phone. I decide to warn her about the phone thief. Turns out she was just in the bathroom trying to steal Cali-Love's phone. Cali-Love segues intoLove-Pink trying to get her to accept the Lord as her personal savior.
"I am not gonna say the words she wants me to say." I nod empathetically. "I've been tested. She does not know my life, what I've been through. And going to church doesn't make you a good person. I am good person. I know that. I am gonna tell you something, I told God I am open to his will, and let me tell you what. He is kicking my ass!" She said smacking her hand through the air as if to smack metaphorical ass. "I hear ya." I told her. "Yeah, just yesterday, it was one friggin thing after another. I was like really God? Really? You gotta test me like this? I have been tested. I have. And I have gotten back up every time. But here's the thing, it's different with Him in your heart. Before I was tested and I had spite in my heart. Now I know, I gotta be different. I gotta feel Him in my heart, ya know?" I nodded, "I do. I really do." She shook her head and said, "I don't even know why I just told you all that. I don't like to talk to people about these kind of things. I don't talk.  You saw me get rid of that other girl." I nodded again saying "I understand. I really do. Thank you for sharing His message with me. You take care and watch your cellphone."

No comments:

Post a Comment