Monday, June 27, 2016

Day 20: Santa Barbara-Mission-Goleta. 16 miles

Day 20: Santa Barbara IH- Mission- Goleta. 16 miles. 
When we started this trek 20 days ago homeless people asked us for money.  Now they ask us things like "Where you packing to?"  "Where ya in from?" We were use to general people seeing the packs and not understanding our pilgrimage. But now, homeless people were seeing us as one of them. I guess we are not so shiny anymore. 

In Santa Barbara I noticed little gifts being left for people less fortunate. I did not take pictures of any of them. I have a habit of observing little nuances like these to learn about a community. No doubt my anthropological training. 
In the Montecito area there was tartan printed fleece blanket neatly folded with a handwritten 3 x 5 card laying on top with a now shriveled flower weighing down the note. I stopped to read the card. "Please call Arn for work" and a number was provided. I put the nite back and replaced the flower paperweight. 
In the ritzy Old Coast Village I saw no such gestures. On the other side of it though, there was a paperback book Borkmann's Point with two cigarettes placed atop the book, which sat atop a coin-op newsstand. 

On the Northend of Santa Barbara I saw at least a dozen individual wrapped sandwiches set out in a raised flower bed under a tree. I thought about taking one, which made me think two things 1) It is literally time to get this girl a sandwich, if I am considering strange roadside sandwiches. 2) Yep. I am not that shiny anymore. 

As we got to the North end of Santa Barbara, on Hollister avenue, we were suddenly walking in a small gaggle of homeless people emerging from their secret night places. An older gentleman of the outdoor lifestyle asked "Hey, you guys just passing through, or, huh?" We told him, 'yeah, just passing through.' 
Gerald listened to him talk about he has been healthier in these last few years since he has lived outdoors. He said he used to get sick every year when he lived indoors. Now, he does not get sick anymore and feels much better. After a time the conversation waned and we resumed our hikers pace. 

One last interaction tested our humbleness. We were approaching some kind of city building with a wide green tree shaded lawn. Persons of the outdoor lifestyle gathered, resting in the shade. It was nearing lunchtime. A man walked out of the building with a handful of voter registration cards. He waved them at us and said "Hello." We returned the greeting and kept walking. 
The man continued walking in a trajectory that would intercept us. 
We slowed and accepted he wanted to speak with us. "You just passing through?" "Yeah. We are hiking the California Missions." "Huh, uh. Well we have program here for people without homes. In a little while we are gonna serve a nice lunch. You are welcome to join us." " oh no. Thank you though." "Well it's free and we are here everyday. Like I said for people without homes." I struggled. I wanted to say 'We have a home. We are not homeless.' But that seemed the wrong response. I stammered we both kind of did. We thanked him and moved on. 
We talked about how difficult it is to be humble and not let ego get in the way. I immediately wished I had thanked the guy for his amazing outreach. I missed that opportunity to thank this man for his work in the moment because my ego was interrupting saying 'I have a house.'

People like this man, are few and far between. The work he is doing is needed, valuable, and not easy to do. 

Lesson: the ego needs endless taming to be the humble person I want to be that takes the time to value others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment