Sunday, June 26, 2016

Day 19: Carpinteria - Santa Barbara. 12 miles

Day 19: Carpinteria -Santa Barbara. 12 miles

Last night we learned about a whole we lodging opportunity:Hike & Bike group camp. We stayed in the same section the night before, but it's name eluded me. This section is exclusively for walk-up hikers and cyclists. It's reassuring to know that if you are hiking or cycling and get to a state campground, you will have a spot to camp. 

By 8pm the hike and bike section was well settled. Everyone was tucked into their tents. We managing to nod off to sleep, despite the sounds of many camp sites just starting dinner, when two new cyclists entered the Hike & Bike group camp area. They began setting up camp right next to our tent. They clanked tent poles and bike parts. Spoke loudly and set-up bright lights. I jokingly judged them "They don't know how to pilgrim."

I laughed and used my buff as a sleep mask/ear plugs. Pretty soon, with the help of Benadryl, I was sound asleep. I really did not mind the cyclists that much. But I had judged them, joking or not. 

In the morning, we awoke to growing diffused light through the tent. It was 5:22 am. Without delay, I stretched and began the task of breaking camp. As quietly as I possibly could. I am pretty quiet. But, still there is bound to be the rustling sounds of stuffing things in backpacks and the zip of zippers. 

One of late comer-cyclists slept in a Bivy sack with a mesh covering for his face. Just about a foot and a half from his head, a curious baby ground squirrel broke through the ground. Next thing we know, he is thrashing in his sleeping bag saying "Hey! Stop it! Knock it off!" We stopped and watched him thrash around like a strange larval being. Then he stopped and was motionless again. 
Okay then. 

By 5:45 we are almost packed up. Another cyclist is already wheeling silently out of camp. I think " Dang, he's already packed up? He's good." I judged myself for not, what? First? Quieter? 

At 6am we are all packed up and leaving the campground. I see the silent cyclist. He has moved away the sleeping campers to pack up all his things. Also, he is charging his phone. I notice he is using a European to US power adapter. 
"Brilliant" I think and remember we learned to pack up away from sleeping pilgrims on Camino. Then an incoming thought says "There's always someone that can walk farther and pilgrim better." Yep. It's true. No need to judge myself or others. I thought I had learned this lesson on Camino the first time. 

-----------
As we walked into Santa Barbara, the cutest little mice kept crossing my trail. More than once they paused and looked at me as if they were actually saying hello or taking time to see me. 

The last time, I was changing from boots to tevas and a little mouse bounded cross the sidewalk and stopped right in front of me. It seemed to watch me put on my shoe, then bounded away in little hops. 

I decided that the mouse was trying to tell me something. Mice as a spirit animal, carry the message to see what is right before your eyes and to take action accordingly. Little mice are messengers reminding us not to neglect the trivial but necessary things in life. They often appear with their message when someone has become to focused on too, few or too, many activities, and are neglecting the opportunities right before them. 
Mice are determined little creatures. They know that to acquire big things in life you must stay focused on the little things and stay in connected in the moment. 

Thank you little mice for revealing yourselves to me in ways that I could hear your message. I thoroughly enjoyed all the small things today. I did not push myself to get to Santa Barbara Mission today. Instead we accepted the path and all the little things in life: Doing laundry (that needed to be done), talking with people & staying someplace different (an international hostel), shopping for groceries, watching a movie with others that I have been quoting for this whole Camino (Nacho Libre).  It was a great afternoon and evening. 
Everyday I am being prepared for what is before me. Whatever that is. May I be ready, rested,and restored; courageous, strong, and determined. 
-----
Mobile blogger will not allow me to post photos(w/o G+) so until I figure that out, photos are on Instagram &@Caminocalifornia

No comments:

Post a Comment